Biology Curriculum at Dominican College, Sion Hill

Biology

Biology is the study of life. Through the study of Biology in Sion Hill students employ the processes of Science in their investigations and explore the diversity of life and the inter-relationship between organisms and their environment. Students develop an understanding and knowledge of the unit of life – the cell – whose structures and processes are shared by all living organisms and, in so doing, gain an insight into the uniqueness, function and role of organisms, including themselves. In addition, they become aware of the use by humans of other living organisms and their products to enhance human health and the human environment and make informed evaluations about contemporary biological issues.

Junior Cycle Science (Biology):

The new Junior Certificate Science course places an emphasis on inductive learning with a movement towards doing. Students will work towards building eight key skills which include: team work, literacy, communication, self-management, numeracy, creativity, managing information & thinking, and health whilst completing the course.

The Biological section of the syllabus deals with aspects of human biology and plant biology. The human body is an integrated organism, with a variety of systems that carry out a range of functions. Each system has a particular structure that enables it to carry out its functions. Understanding how the body functions and how it develops will enable us to appreciate the processes and changes that occur during our lives. Plants and micro-organisms are a vital component of our living world. Plants are the main food producers for all living things. The Biological World unit is comprised of five modules covering topics such as: Microscopic Worlds, Nutrition Well-Being, Systems, Diversity of Living Things & Bio Energy.

Practical Activities: In the course of their studies, students undertake a range of practical work, laboratory work and fieldwork. Students will also get to carry out an ecology study of a local ecosystem.

Transition Year Biology Module:

During a ten week module we try to bring Biology to life with practical experimental sessions and team activities. Throughout the module we highlight links to the senior Biology cycle program, third level courses and career options. Students will be exposed to a wide range of Biological topics such as the Mars One Program, Aspirin & Blood Clots, Microbiology & Diseases, Biodiversity Habitat Mapping, Genetics Studies including DNA Extraction & DNA Profiling, Cosmetic Science, Sensory System Studies & Nutrition.

Senior Cycle Biology:

The syllabus is composed of Science for the enquiring mind, which constitutes approximately 70% and the technological, political, social and economic aspects of Biology, which constitutes the remaining 30%.

The three units studied are as follows:

Unit One: Biology – The Study of Life

Unit Two: The Cell

Unit Three: The Organism

Practical Activities: In the course of their studies, students undertake a range of practical work, laboratory work and fieldwork. Twenty two mandatory practicals are covered over the two years. Students get to carry out an ecology study of a local ecosystem such as the woodlands in Glendalough or grasslands in Airfield.